Health & Mental Health Resources
GENERAL HEALTH RESOURCES
- Duke Foster Care Clinic Duke Foster Care Clinic offers medical evaluations for children in foster care in Durham County. 4020 N Roxboro St, Durham, NC 27704 | (919) 479-2690
- Fostering Health NC Online Library This online resource library from the NC Pediatric Society contains tools for establishing and supporting medical homes for infants, children, adolescents, and young adults in foster care.
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
ONLINE RESOURCES FOCUSING ON CHILDHOOD TRAUMA
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network The webinars at NCTSN are free to the public and offer cutting-edge information from national experts in the field of childhood trauma.
- Sesame Street in Communities An explanation of traumatic experiences
- ACEs Connection Page Connect with people using trauma-informed/resilience-building practices. Stay current with news, research, events. ACEs = Adverse Childhood Experiences
- TED Talk on impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) Nadine Burke Harris explains how childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime.
OTHER ONLINE MENTAL HEALTH EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
THERAPIES AND CLINICAL TREATMENT
- Center for Child and Family Health Services at the Center for Child and Family Health include clinical treatment of child traumatic stress and related diagnoses as well as prevention programs.
- KidSCope KidSCope provides early intervention and childhood support to families in the Triangle.
FAMILY SUPPORT AND TRAINING
- Exchange Family Center The Exchange Family Center provides support and training for families, caregivers and childcare professionals. Contact them if you are seeking mental health support for your child.
RESOURCES BY AGE GROUP
CHILDREN AGES 0-5
Websites with reliable information about child development:
- Zero to Three's Resource List for Parents
- Child Development Resources from the CDC
- Healthy Children Learn about developmental stages, from prenatal to teen.
- Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University Click on their resources page for videos and information on a wide range of health issues.
- North Carolina Infant Mental Health Association Working for the positive emotional, social and cognitive development of children from birth to age five.
- Early Childhood Trauma explained by The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Health Care Issues for Children and Adolescents in Foster Care and Kinship Care Article on what the best pediatric practice should look like for children in foster care
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder explained by the CDC: Children in the US foster care system are 10-15X more likely than children in the general population to have FASD, yet the diagnosis is rarely made.
- Healthy Steps
- Conscious Discipline Videos about parenting
- The Neurobiology of Attachment Watch video